Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wind is dying down...

Hopefully that'll help the fire fighters to regain control the wild fires... San Diego really suffered the most damages I think. No rain in the forecast, but I pray that one comes very soon! Have mercy on us God... and may this disaster help many to turn back to the Lord too...

It was very nice of Bible League... I think I donated some money back when I was at Seattle for them to send some bibles to China..., to my surprise, I got an email saying that they're praying for me amidst of the fires..., how very nice of them... I thought it was some junk mail at first, but it's refreshing to see some prayer junk mail instead of a bunch get rich quick junk mails or sexually explicit junk mails! ;)

Anyway, recently my wheels in my mind is still turning regarding the true age of this world... are we seriously billions of years old... or are we merely thousands of years old? (if we take the Biblical accounts literally)

Scientists believe the youngest fossil record we have are at least 10,000 years old... most are millions and some are even billions years old. So no matter how we stretch the biblical accounts, I don't think there's a way to stretch the age of the world to beyond 10,000 years. Of course, scientist aren't absolutely certain either. Carbon dating is only reliable up to 60,000 years... radioactive dating also isn't reliable to anything existing after 1940's... after we invented the atomic bomb... who knows whether or not if we've actually experience another huge exposure of radiation sometime during past history?

But anyway, based on whatever I've learned so far..., most likely, the world is probably older than 6,000 years...I'm just not sure if we are to take the creation account so literally... more investigations necessary..., it's funny that I now find paleontology kinda interesting now! ;)

Anyway, today's scripture is about Jonah. Jonah is an interesting character I think. He seems so angry all the time... wonder what has the Ninevites done to him that he dislikes them so much. Didn't want to preach to them... and didn't want to see them saved... Surely many preachers would love to preach for God... and would love to see many people saved as a result! But not Jonah. Nope. He doesn't want to preach to them... and was pissed that those he preached to repented!!! God sure uses people in a weird way. Some people don't have the gifts but want to do it..., but some do have the gifts but don't really want to do it. What's up with that? ;)

May God help all of us to be able to appreciate our own gifts... and to use it generously..., and may God help us not to covet other people's gifts too much... if anything, we should desire for more spiritual fruits! Such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control!

(Jonah 1-4)
http://science.howstuffworks.com/carbon-142.htm
http://clearlyexplained.com/nature/earth/minerals/fossils.html

No comments: