Friday, October 12, 2007

How should we live our lives?

Lately, love of my life has been upset with her student's parents... these parents are limiting their kids and sort of forcing them to live out the dreams they themselves failed to live... Of course I'm sure all parents meant well for their kids, they want their kids to have a best, especially chinese parents. But sometimes, forcing us to do whatever they cannot do is probably too much. Enough is enough!

Anyway, based on today's scripture reading, it's interesting that I found out that parents are not always wrong too! Today, I'm reading about Jonadab. Honestly have no clue who this dude is before... thanks to biblegateway.com for clueing me in on this guy... Anyway, Jonadab commanded all of his kids to never drink, never farm, never build houses... basically he has 'forced' all of his descendants into some sort of nomadic lifestyle. Not sure if this 'command' originally came from God... or was it from Jonadab's dad, Recab... anyway, suffice to say that it wasn't a decision made under the influence of alcohol... because they're not suppose to drink, right? ;) Anyway, my suspision is that this must've originally came from God... or some sort of vows made by Recab to God or whatever..., cause otherwise, who is Jonadab to promise his kids that they'd be able to live long lives by obeying this command?

And it really did save them, the Recabites, when the Babylonians invaded... these Recabites simply moved quickly to escape the Babylonians. God also praised their faithfulness to Jonadab's command..., but from our perspective... that seemed like a ridiculous command, right? Never drink? Never settle down? What if I want to settle down? Why should I continue to obey some stupid tradition passed down from generations ago?

So anyway, it's not always a bad thing to listen and obey your parents. I know this from experience too... For sure my own mother has tried to control me plenty of times, for sure she's not always wrong... and I'm not always right either.

So how should we make decisions in our own lives? May my will be done? May my parent's will be done? Of course it ought to be... may God's will be done! And may God's will be revealed in all of our hearts so that we can stay way from the wrong paths... and stay on the right ones!

(Jeremiah 35)

No comments: