Friday, November 2, 2007

The secret for lasting relationships...

Yesterday as I was trying to drive to buy lunch, my car just won't start. So I called my friend Daniel to help me push it and see if my car would still start up... and it did! So I figure it's probably the starter that need to be replaced. So I offered Dan free lunch just so that he can help me push start the car again when we leave... cool thing about stick shift cars, they can be push started in the event of dead battery or bad starter.... anyway, as it turned out, my car didn't have bad starter, it's the battery going bad. Probably cause by old age... and the fact that I have a beeping alarm thing going on with my car sometimes going on non-stop, that's probably what hurt the battery... Anyway, after $70, my old Civic is good as new again! ;) It's amazing how tough this little Civic is with nearly 300,000 miles!!!!

Of course besides having long lasting relationships with my cars, God also want us to have good relationships with Him and with each other. It's weird how the wife and I got into a pretty deep discussion of relationships. I was sharing with her the 'secrets' I learn about relationships... and how it sort of led me to Christianity. I'm not sure how true those 'secrets' are, but for sure they match the biblical truths very well. It all started by us trying to define what romance is all about... anyway, I think romance is basically planned spontaneity. It feels totally spontanious and natural and smooth that you don't even realize that it's an carefully planned and orchestrated event. If a guy can make a gal feel that way... to have her pleasantly surprised... to have her feel very adventurous, yet still very safe... not going out of control or anything... this is how a girl might feel like she's being 'romanced'. Of course this is all easier said than done! ;)

Still, I believe God "romances" all often..., He would make things happen in a way that feels very spontaneous and natural and people usually won't appreciate the effort God put into planning it!!! The creation of heavens and earth for example, is something most of us take for granted. Like I told my wife, people with low interest levels for sure will take your romances for granted...

Anyway, today's reading is about Sadducees, those people error because they don't know the scripture properly nor the power of God. They are folks with low interest level for God in their hearts. Seriously, what is the ultimate 'secret' for long lasting meaningful relationships? It is to love. To love God and to love each other. Without love, there's just no way in hell that we can have long lasting relationships with anyone or anything...

(Matthew 22:23-46)

No comments: