Thursday, August 7, 2008

Burning the midnight oil...

I'm here burning the midnight oil trying to meet some deadline at work. Thank God I finished now at 3:30am intead of having to stay up ALL night! ;)

I'm really too old for this, but at least this is occassional and not happening regularly. Plus, I'm getting paid extra! In a slowed economy of today, I suppose it's a blessing to have extra work!

Today, I'm reading more on Judges. It's really not a very pleasant book to read. Israelites were just being disobedient... and even the judges are kinda messed up... with Jephthah making stupid vows to sacrifice whatever came out of his door... which he ended up sacrificing his beloved daughter. If God is going to deliver something to us, does God really need us to sacrifice somebody else? Why not sacrifice self instead?

Anyway, luckily I'm also reading about another more interesting book that we brought back from taiwan. It's a small little book that talked about paradox of life in the book of Ecclesiastes... it's really a short wonderful book and I think I'm going to review a few times just to get a better understanding...

Today, I read a passage which I thought was really cool: "達人的弔詭: 他珍惜今生,更看重來世. 他做最悲觀的打算,也做最樂觀的預期. 他同意所羅門的虛空論,也羨慕雅歌的愛情觀.在喪禮中哀歌,也能再婚宴中喜酒.患難不能困住他,幸福也不能迷惑他. 他夠悲觀,所以能處芻吉避兇; 他夠樂觀,所以他的生命沒有停怠不前. 在人生最後一刻, 他對生命有不捨的眷戀,也有放手的瀟灑...

If only we all could live such paradoxical life, there'd be no period of Judges on earth...

(Judges 10-12, 175.0 lbs, $4.259)

No comments: